Flavia M. Nelson, M.D.
Associate Professor of Neurology
Associate Director, MRI Analysis Center
- Patient Appointments: 832-325-7080
- Assistant: 713-500-7029
- Fax: 713-500-7040
- E-mail: Flavia.M.Nelson@uth.tmc.edu
- American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology
- American Board of Internal Medicine
Education and Training:
- Medical School: University of Chihuahua School of Medicine
- Residency in Internal Medicine: Texas Tech University Health Science Center
- Residency in Neurology: University of Texas Medical School at Houston
- Multiple Sclerosis Clinical and Research Fellowship: Multiple Sclerosis Research Group, University of Texas Medical School at Houston
Principal Investigator for the following protocols
- Detection of MS Related Cognitive Impairment: In Search of MRI Surrogate Markers
Major aims of this project is to develop and apply a multimodal MRI approach to the evaluation of cognitive impairment in patients with multiple sclerosis.
- Low Dose fingolimod (0.25 mg)
We are currently enrolling in a multicenter trial to compare the effectiveness and safety of low dose 0.25 mg fingolimod and 0.5 mg fingolimod with Copaxone 20mg subcutaneously in RRMS patients. The new oral agent fingolimod has already been approved for 0.5 mg dose, which blocks migration of T cells from the lymph node to the blood stream, and therefore the brain, significantly reducing number of attacks in RRMS patients. To be eligible for this study, patients should be in between the ages of 18–65, have at least 1 documented relapse during the previous year or 2 documented relapses during the previous 2 years.
Clinical & Research Interests
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging in MS
- Cognitive Impairment in MS